This Greek-inspired Mediterranean Stir Fry with Skordalia is so easy to toss together and pairs perfectly with my Keto Skordalia for a fast, healthy meal.
This dish was inspired by a whole bunch of ingredients I had sitting in my fridge that I had to use up. Some of my best meals are created, actually, out of necessity. “Let’s see… feta, olives, a zucchini, a couple tomatoes… hey – sounds like a Mediterranean meal!” That’s literally how it came about.
Can I add any protein?
Of course! For this, I used smoked turkey that I smoked on my Traeger Grill. It was perfect alongside the veggies and feta. I smoked a couple large turkey breasts and then packaged them up into smaller portions. They thaw in no time to make a fast meal. However, you can add any protein you please. Chicken, pork or beef or even sausage would pair nicely. For a vegetarian version try adding seasoned tofu or tempeh. It’s so versatile!
If you do want to use smoked turkey, Whole Foods tends to carry smoked turkey from Diestel Family Ranch. Before I got my smoker, we’d often pick some up for a nice treat.
What can I serve this with?
I used my Keto Skordalia as a base for this meal. Of course, you can really use anything that suits your fancy – or don’t serve it on top of anything! It’s perfectly delicious and fine on its own. If you don’t have any rutabagas around to make the Skordalia, it can simply be served on top of my cauliflower rice, konjac rice, or if you’re not keto, try it with quinoa, grits or polenta.
Try making this without protein and serve alongside a salmon filet! See some other great ideas, in the recipe notes!
This makes great leftovers for quick and easy lunches!
Even though I’m a lover of fresh food, sometimes life can get in way of cooking and I need a fast, portable lunch.
I like to make a double batch of this, without adding the turkey, so I can add a protein of my choice the next day. In case of ‘lunch emergencies’ I keep around canned wild caught salmon, canned organic chicken and sardines. Any of those are a yummy complement to this dish and can be added in a hurry. It makes an easy meal to toss in your lunch box to be re-heated later!
Other recipes you might like
- Indian Spiced Salmon
- Keto Bibimbap Bowl – The Ultimate Meal
- Keto Skordalia
- 90 Second Parmesan Oregano Bread
This post contains affiliate links. As an Instacart and Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mediterranean Stir Fry with Skordalia
To make the skordalia (see my full skordalia recipe)
- 1 pound rutabaga (approximately)
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- ¼ cup olive oil (plus 2 tablespoons)
- 2 cloves garlic (omit for low-FODMAP)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon preserved lemon paste (or lemon juice. You can also read more about how to make your own Quick Lemon Puree.)
- 1 teaspoon fleur de sel (or season to taste)
To make the stir fry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 large zucchini (thinly sliced)
- 10 kalamata olives (sliced in half)
- ¼ cup walnuts (crushed)
- 6 cherry tomatoes (sliced in half)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups smoked turkey (chopped – or protein of choice)
- 4 tablespoons feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1 green onion (chopped)
- 1 pinch fleur de sel (for finishing – optional)
To make the skordalia
- Cut off the root of the rutabaga, the spot where the stem was removed and remove the skin. I just use a vegetable peeler for this.
- Chop rutabaga in one inch pieces (or smaller). Add to a large stock pot, cover with water and boil until fork tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- While the rutabaga is boiling, finely chop the garlic. Add two tablespoons of olive oil to a small pan, add the garlic, and sautee for about 2 minutes, until garlic becomes soft. Set aside entire contents of the pan.
- Drain rutabaga and add to a large bowl. Mash and add the olive oil, preserved lemon, the olive oil and garlic from the pan that was set aside, almond flour and salt and mash until thoroughly combined and smooth. Add the sour cream last and mix well.
For the stir fry
- In a large skillet, add the Extra Virgin Olive Oil, chopped zucchini, pepper, basil and oregano and sautee for about 5 minutes, until the zucchini is just tender.
- Add the olives, walnuts and turkey and cook a minute or two, until warmed.
- To serve, plate the skordalia and top with the stir fry. Add the feta, tomatoes, chopped green onion and fleur de sel to finish.
*Net carbs = carbohydrates – fiber
Nutritional information is an estimate, calculated using online tools and does not include optional ingredients unless otherwise indicated.
I followed this recipe and this was delicious! So easy to make and wonderful!